Andreas Schoyerer – Craftsman from Bavaria
Founded by Andreas Schoyerer the first, in1850 the Schoyerer Family started producing fine wood furniture in Bavaria. Already under his son Andreas Schoyerer jun, they were nominated official purveyors to the royal court of Bavaria in march 1902. In edition to the Royal House of Bavaria, furniture and interiors were executed for, amongst others, the king of Saxonia, the Prussian emperor, castles on the river Rhine in the west and as far as Hungary in the east. Other works included Catholic, Lutheranian and Jewish sacral buildings.
The social change of the Weimar republic brought on a broadening middle class and private businesses as customers. In this time, the A.Schoyerer Furniture Company introduced Art Nouveau into their designs and was at the forefront of bringing on Heimatschutzstil, a lost link in German arts. It meant to fuse the regional traditional styles with architectural modernism.
In the 1930s however, a uniform “Volkskunst” folkloric style for all of Germany was demanded by the Nazi regime. As in all other aspects of their doings, so the consequences on German arts, crafts and design were tragic. In the decades after WW2, under Hans and his son Paul Schoyerer, the company returned to a traditional Bavarian style and managed to reach commercial success again. The production site in Bavaria was closed in 2000.
The A.Schoyerer heritage has long progressed from its idyllic origins in Cham, a small town in the beautiful Bavarian forest, to some of the most dynamic and productive urban centres of the world:
Today, architect Julian Schoyerer in Frankfurth ( https://www.schoyerer.de ), interior architect Kristin Schoyerer (gmp Architekten -Berlin) and Andreas Schoyerer (Rio de Janeiro) carry on the family legacy, and understand its history as both their fundament and inspiration.